W2 Consulting recently conducted a series of consultations examining future trends in Sport Tourism. This culminated in two W2 Consulting facilitated discussions at World Travel Market 2014 featuring contributors from the Commonwealth Games, Tour de France, England 2015 Rugby World Cup, Sport Event Denmark and global sports intelligence company, SportCal.
Sport Tourism destinations, events, developments, ideas, stories, innovation and experiences were all discussed and debated where the panel of experts spoke of the immense impact of sport tourism at a local, national and international scale and gave their views on leading and emerging trends, exactly what is going on within the sport tourism industry and what is expected for the future.The Eurosport sponsored sessions were well attended by sport organisations, destination development bodies, travel providers and educational and consultancy providers from across the globe.
The World Travel Market discussions revealed a number of recurring messages from these global events in terms of new trends in the marketplace for events, destination development and growing attendee expectations. From this, the following Future Trends in Sport Tourism has been developed by W2 Consulting.
1. Partnership Private, Public & Third Sector must work together
2. Innovation Innovation & Creativity in Event Production
3. Delivery New venues in host locations widening scope of opportunity to host
4. Experience Creation of enhanced spectator & participant experience
5. Local Culture Showcase and integration with community and cultural activity
6. Volunteers Resource of local pool of event makers and ambassadors to attract future events
7. Government Involvement from Central and Local Government
8. Competition Continuous emerging destinations investing in events and facilities
9. Digital Media Spectator and participant exposure to global event best practice globally
10. Legacy More focus on social value generation and legacy planning from outset
Download Report here.